Tips for Staying Alert on the Road
Get help from experienced Atlanta personal injury and accident attorneys
Feeling sleepy on a long road trip? Do you have a job with unusual hours and need to drive to work before sunrise? Or do you just not get enough sleep? Sleepy driving can have numerous causes, but one common entity remains: drowsy driving is increasingly dangerous on the road.
Victims of a vehicle accidents due to a sleepy driver should always contact Pope & Howard, P.C. for the best accident attorneys and legal representation in Atlanta. Follow these helpful tips for help staying alert on the road. By following this advice, you may just prevent a serious accident.
Sleepy Driving: Just as Dangerous as Drunk Driving
While you cannot get arrested for drowsy driving, studies have shown that it can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. A driver doesn’t have to fall asleep at the wheel to cause danger on the road. Driving in both drunk and sleepy conditions causes slow reaction time, impaired memory, decreased alertness, and many more symptoms that can easily cause an accident. Unfortunately, there is no sobriety test or breathalyzer to determine sleepy driving, so the signs can be difficult to notice.
Stay Alert with These Tips to Prevent Sleepy Driving
If you struggle with staying alert while driving, try these energy-boosting tips that will keep you safe and focused.
- Get enough sleep the night before. This first tip is obvious, but often ignored. 6-9 hours of sleep a night should do the trick for increased alertness.
- Take a nap. Pull over and take a 20-minute power nap if you’re nodding off; it will help you feel more refreshed.
- Drink a caffeinated beverage. One simple cup of coffee is a great energy source.
- Snack. Munching on a healthy snack can help you stay focused. Stay away from sugary snacks as this can cause an energy crash.
- Listen to music. Turning music up to 90 decibels can definitely keep you awake on a drive.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is essential to keeping your energy up and drowsiness down.
- Roll a window down. A circulation of fresh air will improve your mood and concentration.
- Chew gum. Keeping your chops active will decrease yawning and sleepiness levels.
Contact Pope & Howard, P.C.: Atlanta Personal Injury Law Firm
Stay alert behind the wheel with these tips in mind and contact Pope & Howard for legal help if you’ve been a victim of a car accident involving a sleepy, unalert driver. Our serious accident attorneys will help you with the best legal guidance in Atlanta. To set up a fee consultation, fill out our contact form or call us at (404) 885-9999.