How Do You Know If An Elder is Being Abused Through Financial Exploitation?
Let Atlanta’s elder abuse lawyers at Pope & Howard, P.C. counsel you about the financial exploitation & abuse of elders.
You may be aware that elder abuse occurs in nursing homes and permanent care facilities, but there are many ways that our elders may suffer abuse outside of their care facilities. According to a study by the National Institute of Justice, the financial exploitation of the elderly is on the rise, and many instances of financial exploitation remain unreported to the National Center on Elder Abuse.
The financial exploitation of elders occurs when an elderly person’s funds or property are used by either an outside con artist or a primary caregiver without proper authorization. Examples of financial exploitation can include:
- Theft of an elder’s identity or false signatures.
- Investment fraud or fake charitable donations.
- Unauthorized use of bank accounts, personal checks, or credit cards.
Recent studies have reported that elders who are physically and financially independent are more susceptible to abuse through financial exploitation. However, elders who require additional assistance are more likely to be the victims of physical abuse or neglect.
Signs of Financial Exploitation Elderly Abuse in Georgia
Elders may not be aware that they are the victims of financial exploitation, so it’s important for close family and friends to be aware of key signs, including:
- Unnecessary purchase of products, subscriptions, or services.
- Unexplained financial activity or account withdrawals.
- Inexplicable changes to wills, policies, or power of attorney.
- Strange addition of names to signature cards.
- Overdue bills or a decrease in medical care when sufficient funds are present.
If you suspect an elder is being subjected to financial exploitation, immediately alert the proper authorities and contact a local elder abuse attorney. Pope & Howard, P.C. in Atlanta, Georgia, provides legal counsel for elders experiencing financial exploitation, and fight for indemnification.