How to Report Healthcare Abuse Among the Elderly
Learn how Atlanta’s trusted elder abuse attorneys at Pope & Howard, P.C. help reporting elderly healthcare abuse.
The Social Security Amendments of 1965 created the first government-funded healthcare programs, Medicare and Medicaid, designed to aid impoverished and elderly Americans. These healthcare programs have provided millions of Americans with the services they require; however, healthcare fraud has been a growing epidemic since the 1980s.
Elderly Americans receiving Medicare or government-subsidized healthcare are the most at risk for becoming victims of healthcare and Medicare fraud. As a healthcare or Medicare beneficiary, it’s important to be aware of the signs that your healthcare plan is being fraudulently billed for benefits
Signs of Elder Healthcare Abuse
It’s important for family members and friends of elderly persons to know the signs of healthcare abuse, and to immediately report the abuse to the proper authorities at Adult Protective Services. Signs of elderly healthcare or Medicare abuse include:
- Charging for services that were not rendered.
- Double-billing or overcharging elderly patients.
- Receiving monetary gifts for referrals or certain drug prescriptions.
- Not providing accurate medication dosages.
- Medicare fraud.
- Suggesting fake remedies for ailments.
- Ordering unnecessary procedures.
- Ordering brand name drugs, but providing generic.
Reporting Elderly Healthcare & Medicare Abuse
Healthcare abuse may not always be easily identifiable, but there are a few key steps you can take to reduce your chances of falling victim to elderly healthcare abuse, including:
- Keep all of your personal information filed and in a safe place.
- Only receive medical services from your personal doctor unless he or she provides a referral for additional services.
- Frequently reference healthcare claims and maintain accurate healthcare records.
- Compare your records with those of your healthcare insurance provider or Medicare records.
- Contact your doctor about any billing questions you may have.
Contact the Elder Abuse Attorneys of Pope & Howard, P.C.
At Pope & Howard, P.C., we provide victims of healthcare abuse and their families with reliable legal counsel for remuneration against healthcare fraud. Identifying elderly healthcare abuse is just the first step in rectifying the underlying problems of the healthcare industry.