Cerebral palsy is an umbrella term for several neurological disorders that affect body movement and muscle coordination. Infants afflicted with this permanent condition require extensive and costly medical care throughout their lives. Cerebral palsy has a variety of causes, including random gene mutations, maternal infections, fetal stroke, infant infections, or a traumatic head injury. Sometimes, medical negligence or malpractice plays a role in causing cerebral palsy, particularly when the child’s brain does not receive enough oxygen during labor or birth. Some examples of medical negligence that lead to cerebral palsy include the following:
- Failure to detect and/or properly treat infection during pregnancy
- Failure to appropriately monitor fetal heart rate before and during labor and birth
- Failure to detect a prolapsed umbilical cord
- Delay in performing (or failure to perform) a necessary cesarean section
- Negligence and unreasonable mistakes in using instruments while performing a delivery
Cerebral palsy cases are complex and require attorneys who specialize in them. The cerebral palsy attorneys at Pope & Howard have the knowledge and experience to obtain the compensation you and your family deserve. We will fight for your child’s health and well being, and ensure that you can cover his or her medical expenses.